Thursday, June 28, 2012

I'm Home!


Actually, I've been home for a couple of day now, wandering around like a zombie, eating broccoli and popcorn and stale chips(crisps, for my new, better accented friends from across the pond), waking up at 3am and taking midday naps for several hours. I don't know what time zone I am on, because it certainly isn't Thailand time, and it definitely isn't Los Angeles time. My cats seem to be delighted to find me up at the wee hour of 3am though, and relish in coming to nap with me in the middle of the day, so maybe I am on Pacific Standard Feline Time.


I am ridiculously excited to be home. I love to travel, but I am a homebody deep down. Laying down on my carpet, which is thoroughly and permanently laced with cat hair, stained with craft glue, and speckled with deeply imbedded seed beads from too many clumsy craft calamities that the vacuum can't correct, I sprawl out like an upside down starfish and can't wipe the grin off my face to finally be home, to be able to cook and paint and snuggle kitties and play boardgames with my friends. All of my muscles relax in a way that none of the 5+ thai massages I got could ever hope to reach. It is a romantic notion to be a gypsy, a nomad, wandering from exotic place to exotic place, seeing everything there is to see... but I get some hardcore warm fuzzies from seeing that my tomato plant has doubled in size along with my kitten (actually, she has quadrupled in weight from 1 pound to 4 pounds in 3 weeks). I get my own sort of zen from feeding my fish while listening to John Williams soundtracks in my underwear. I guess that makes me more of a crazy cat lady than a jet- setter, but I am alright with that.

Japan and Thailand were so amazing that words can't even begin to describe them. I will make a humble attempt to in the next couple of weeks as I decode my barely decipherable chicken scratch, scrawled onto the backs of maps and hotel stationary. 

Until then, I leave you with one undeniable truth: baby elephants are clumsy, playful, and have no idea how big and heavy they really are. Swimming with elephants is one of those things I never even conceived was a possibility to put on my bucket list, but it probably should have been right at the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment